Blue’s Sugar Bowl Drive-In

Welcome Forums Comal County History and Culture Remember When… Blue’s Sugar Bowl Drive-In

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Alton Rahe and Laverne Pearce helped solve this mystery after the March meeting.

Blue’s Sugar Bowl was located at 1094 West San Antonio St., New Braunfels, Texas. It is the north west corner of San Antonio St. and Walnut Avenue. The picture is of the sign not the building. The building in the background was not part of Blue’s Sugar Bowl and is actually on the other side of Walnut St (and it still exists.) The Blue’s Sugar Bowl later (in the 1950’s) was Schulz’s Caf?. Today there is a Stop & Go convenience store and gas station on the location.

The House That Jack Built was at 1414 West San Antonio St, New Braunfels, Texas.

Anonymous

Being born in New Braunfels, we enjoyed many a good meal at Blue’s. That is the place where I learned to love cheseburgers with onions. My grandfather, John (Jack) Kaufmann (Grandaddy) worked at the liquor store that was a part of Blue’s, and he and my grandmother, Hazel Kaufmann (Nana) , lived just a block away on the corner of Walnut and Mill Street. My sister still has the claw foot bathtub out of our Nana’s house which she found for sale several years ago when the current owner was remodeling.

Anonymous

The location mentioned was were my dad, Lops Weidner said it was. He worked there during his school years, he graduated in 1932. BW

Anonymous

Does anyone remember the Blue’s Sugar Bowl in New Braunfels? Do you know where it was located?
      Was it possibly located on San Antonio Street near what later became a mortuary?

Another popular place was The House That Jack Built on the same street.

This photo is courtesy of Jerry Sparkman who found it in his aunt’s high school memory book.

Blues Sugarbowl 1932
      Blues Sugarbowl 1932
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.