Schumannsville School

Welcome Forums Comal County History and Culture Remember When… Schumannsville School

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Great post Marijane!

There is a small write-up in the Handbook of Texas Online for Schumannsville.

I also found an online version of the Altwein Family Historical Marker.

mamajane

My grandfather, Hermann E Dietel, taught at the Schumannsville School for 40 years, a record at the time. He had previously taught at Smithson’s Valley for several years & at Solms for a short time. His family (wife & 7 children) lived in the adjacent teacherage, which fronted on the now-called Union Wine Rd. Originally the name of the road was spelled Union Wein, for the property had been given to the school trustees by a local resident named Altwein. Mr. Altwein did not want the school to bear his name, so a compromise was reached. Although the community was in Guadalupe County, its proximity to New Braunfels dictated that the people living there traveled to NB more frequently than to Seguin. I will post a photo of one of the classes soon. Would love to have comments from others with knowledge of the school & community.
      Marijane Fischer Stafford

NBTXFF
      Participant

Would love to learn more about Schumannsville,and its History.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.